0

If he weighed the same as a duck...then he is a heretic!

Posted by dan in , , ,
Before I really get started, you must understand my frustration with the Christian sub-culture that has forgotten its purpose, and gotten bogged down with fighting itself, instead of proclaiming the love of Christ to the lost world around us. I see hate exuding from Christians and it stirs up a mixture of anger and sadness in me...I just do not believe this is how Jesus would carry himself right now. Also, as of right now I have not read Rob Bell’s Love Wins, I have merely read a barrage or reviews of it. The vast majority of which attack it mercilessly, and saddened me. However, I was delighted to read a friend’s blog to find what I can only assume is a fair and balanced review, which is the basis for my understanding of Rob Bell’s beliefs. I should point out, this is not a review of Rob Bell, or his book, but more of a question as to whether or not it is fair to label him as a heretic.

Now to the quickest way to get myself stoned:
Many claim that Rob Bell is a heretic, that is a very serious claim, that (I think) I fundamentally disagree with. Yes, his most recent book is obviously controversial, but is it actually heretical? Is it denying foundational doctrine? Or is it simply viewing some basic doctrine in a different way?

You and I don't agree on all points of doctrine. My wife and I don't even agree on all points of doctrine. I wouldn't call you guys heretics, and actually, I openly welcome healthy discussion of theological matters. This is important for a healthy community as well, but we need to accept that we're not all going to agree. To label someone as a heretic is - by definition - putting them outside that community and not having any more discussion with them until they change their ways.

As I understand it, Rob Bell has gone and studied the Greek and Hebrew meanings of words and come to the conclusion that Hell is temporal - not that it doesn't exist. His belief is still that Christ is the only way. The difference between Rob Bell's beliefs and traditional ones is that he believes that in time everyone will come to recognize Christ as their Messiah.

Although on thechristianwatershed.com they point out in great detail how Rob Bell came to his interpretation of the original language, AND how he is mistaken. Coming from an just about zero level of Greek, and possibly below zero level of Hebrew, it seems to me, the differences are subtle, and these could be easy mistakes to make...and were possibly not even malicious.

Regardless, of the what or why...again considering I am basing this on a review and not the book itself...Rob Bell appears to believe that if you don't come to know Christ personally in this physical life, you will go to Hell, and suffer. His belief, however, is that that is not the end of the road, where most believe it is.
For me personally, whether or not Rob Bell is right, has no bearing on how I live my life, or go about ministry. I desire to spread the love of God, and tell people about how my Jesus is the way!

This is why I have a problem with the attacks on Rob Bell. I do not think he is a heretic, I think he is a bit unorthodox in a few points of doctrine, but he appears to still believe firmly is salvation by grace.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Unruly Wisdom All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek.