3

Born to be Wild

Posted by dan in , , , , ,
"Being concerned about people “rebelling” against you is a sign of pride and authoritarianism" - Eric Pazdziora

I wasn't really a rebellious child. My younger brother was considered to be the more "rebellious" one, but as an adult, I now see, we really weren't. Sure, I wore a wallet chain. My musical interest were often considered "rebellious" ranging from Coolio, to Rage Against the Machine, passing through The OC Supertones [and yes, the value of the latter was questioned as its message wasn't always something Biblical]. I even recall, not being allowed to wear biker shorts under regular shorts because they were the "symbol of a rebel" - thank you Andre Agassi.



In the end though, life wasn't so bad, I was given the freedom to make my own choices, and learn from my own mistakes. I have infinite respect for my parents for giving that to me.

Unfortunately, I have come to find out, I am not in the norm. In fact my poor wife is still dealing with remnants of an authoritarian childhood, even though we have moved 5582 miles (that's 8983 km for the more enlightened) away. I have several friends headed down the same road with their quiver of children. This Christian sub-culture is largely part of the homeschool movement. In the past twenty years I have gone through several stages in my attitude toward such an approach to parenting, now that I am nearly thirty, I think I finally have pin pointed what bothered me so much about the group, and this is in no small part due to watching my wife's journey out of what we call The Movement.

My perceptions of The Movement

1. Puzzlement (sometime in junior high) - when I first heard of homeschooling I could not understand why any parent would do this to their child, or why any kid would just go along with it because "how would they every witness to anyone?"

2. Frustration (college) - my university had many homeschoolers, and although some were fine, others were really...well weird. It wasn't their fault they had never regularly interacted with peers, but it was hard to be their friend because they didn't know how to be friends.

3. Anger (early years of marriage) - seeing what had been done to my wife for so many years was just not right. She was (and is) a fantastic person that is haunted to levels beyond her control.

4. Pity (the past year) - seeing so many friends fall into this way of life, I realize they don't fully understand what they are getting into. I had the experience of seeing a family up-close-and-personal after years of being in The Movement, my friends have no idea what road they are headed down, and are slowly brainwashing themselves. They feel it is their duty to have dozens of kids. It is their responsibility to keep their kids away from the evils of the world. They are trained, and train their kids, to defend their way of life no matter what the challenge is.

5. All of the above, plus a little more (today) - this has been building in my mind for quite a while, but after reading Eric Pazdziora's post on Quivering Daughters, I just had to bring it all together. The problem is Authoritarianism. It is often referred to as Patriarchal. However, reading the post, and thinking through my friend's individual situations, I think the problem starts in a church. A church that is so authoritarian it requires, forbids, and orders it's members. It labels people as rebellious, and is trigger happy with the heresy label. This results in individual families modeling their home live in the same way. They may even leave that church, but the damage has been done. Now that family is nearly destined to church hop because no other church is quite as perfect as theirs used to be, until they join/start a home church and whole-heartedly believe they are the only ones that know. This is where pity comes in, because they are trapped. Anger is not far behind, because reality is, they are doing this to themselves, and their children don't know any better. Which makes them awkward and frustrating to be around, and in the end, if they had really honestly studied God's message to us, I just have to ask: why?

3 Comments


The strange thing is that I have seen more public school kids/families act the way you describe then homeschooled families. The issue is not whether or not a child is homeschooled or goes to a public/private school. The root issue is one that you touched on at the bottom of your post: The people of God retreating into a bubble because the cultural around them is all evil.

To elaborate on this bit, for years the church in general has taken upon itself the responsibility (wrongly I might add) to keep its members from all harm and evil. This leads, as you mentioned, to an authoritarianism structure which works out of fear and rules versus allowing the Holy Spirit to guide and direct each person through love and freedom. Jesus Christ is the only one who knows how to walk through this crazy minefield of a life – as such, we need to learn to listen and obey His voice and not our human wisdom (note that when I say “listen and obey”, I’m talking about hearing Jesus speak through dreams, visions, audible/inaudible words, the Bible, and community).

Bring it back about to the schooling of a child, the reason you see so many poor homeschooled kids/family is not because the method of homeschooling is wrong (shoot, it was the ONLY method of schooling for thousands and thousands of years!!!). It is the motivation behind WHY the family chooses to homeschool their kids that you should be looking at, not the method itself.


Precisely my point. For years I believed it was homeschooling itself, when in reality, it was a different issue which happens to lend itself well to homeschooling. But it is not the schooling method itself, it is the home life, which in turn is affected by church life.


Right on. I was homeschooled, as were my two siblings. I think we ended up doing rather well for ourselves. But, for us, homeschooling was about FREEDOM, not about restriction. I was freed to advance at my own pace (taking the SAT's at 14 and being accepted at LU at 15, going at 16). I was free to have a week as long or as short as my work ethic allowed. I did all my own schoolwork and then some, and was usually only "in school" Monday-Wednesday on a good week and Thursday on a BAD week. 8 years of 3-4 day weekends filled with hiking, camping with the local Christian school kids, traveling with my dad and grandpa, etc. I never had a curfew. I had responsibility - I was responsible for informing my parents of exactly when I would be home, and keeping to it. At 13 or 14 I once walked home at 3 or 4 am from a Star Wars movie marthon with the young people from the local school. But, that was exactly the timeframe I gave, and my parents were fine with it. I learned to garden, I played 10-15 hours of basketball a week. I watched some TV and played a ton of computer games. I voraciously read my way through the library, often checking out books in all three of my family's library cards so that I could stock up on enough between trips.

I was never "kept away" from the world, and I was never offered anything but the chance at personal responsibility.

But, I know we are not a typical story either. The authoritarian bent is strooooooooooooooong in Christian circles...and in many churches. It was strong at LU. I once had a question for a teacher about why some half-assed decision had been made administratively, and I was told "I most certainly will not answer that question. Not to you, not to anyone. God placed the administration in charge, and a good Christian servant OBEYS. Does not question, wonder, bicker, ask, or doubt. Simply obeys." That was the last productive conversation I had with that faculty member before graduating.

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Unruly Wisdom All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek.